This old ufo, my mandala, ought to be finished in 2009.
When I organized the quiltshow in September there was no spare time to get it ready, so we decided to display the top in the classroom section of the exhibition. Last weekend I decided, now it’s the right time to finalize it. I cut a piece of backing fabric and a piece of iron on wadding was left from my last quilt which would be the ideal size.
So I sandwiched my quilt on the table in the kitchen. When I basted by pins, I pricked my finger and inevitable, a blood stain was on the top. So quick, to the sink and wash it out in cold water.
It was late at night, so the quilt had time to dry until next morning.
I used the batting upside down, so the fusing side was on top. This was the failure. Elisabeth why dont you hold to the instruction! It says: fusing side on the backside of the quilt.
When I finished machine quilting the center, my quilt looked like this.
Backside was all right, but frontside was spoilt.
I tried to press, no success, I tried to remove the fused fabric from the batting, no chance, the batting sticks quite tough. There was no way to get that thing flat, plain, smooth.
So I had to grab my seam ripper and undo these tiny stitches.
My anger about the wavy look of the border drove me crazy. I had to cut it off.
It was replaced by a simple binding. Now my quilt is a circle again, much smaller though. What counts most is, it is finished!